Some parents send care packages with home baked cookies. My mother sends dried squid.
“Do you wanna try some?” I asked my roommate as I hesitantly lifted a piece to my mouth. “No, I’m good” she told me.
So I gave it to my lovely sister, who has the luxury of a kitchen in her dorm room. A few months later, I trooped over to her room and we created some squid fried rice. Delicious!
Squid fried rice (serves 2)
- 1 package dried squid (find in Japanese grocery stores)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- half an onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup bell peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- heat up olive oil in a skillet. once it’s hot, add mushrooms and onions. cook for one minute, add peppers. cook until all veggies are soft.
- add curry powder and rice. saute for 1 minute.
- crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk until mixed. add to skillet and stir together quickly so egg gets incorporated into rice.
- cook until egg is nearly done. add dried squid and a splash of olive oil. cook 1 minute more, or until egg is done and everything is heated.
et voila! le fried rice extraordinaire!